Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Lunch with Mom

Today Mom and I went out to lunch as we usually do on Wednesdays. I was telling her about a quiz Hubby found on Facebook. It was all about Detroit. I was asking Mom some of the questions because I knew she would know about these things. When I mentioned Bob-lo Island, she said to me, "Did I ever tell you about the time I missed the last boat off the island?" Bob-lo is an island in the Detroit River which had at one time amusement park rides, picnic grounds and a huge dance pavilion. The island belonged to Canada. The only way to reach the island was by a large excursion boat. The ride took about 45 minutes and there was a band, dancing and refreshments on the boat. My own memories of Bob-lo was going on the 10AM boat with my mom, Aunt, Grandma and cousins. We would picnic and play all day and our Dad's would come on the 6PM boat for supper and we would all leave on the last boat at 10PM. By the time I was a kid the pavilion was not used for dances anymore but kids used to roller skate on the wooden dance floor. By the time my kids were old enough to go to Bob-lo the pavilion was used to store equipment. Bob-lo now has condominiums on it and the boat is in dry dock.
Anyway, Mom had gone with her sister and her boyfriend. It was a warm summer night. Mom said she was dancing and having a wonderful time when she heard the low boat whistle and realized the 10PM boat was leaving. Apparently the island was so crowded with people staying late that they had to send another boat to get everybody off. My Aunt and Uncle were on that 10PM boat and were as angry as hornets that little sister had missed the boat. Mom said after she realized she had missed the boat she didn't have as much fun because she knew she was in big trouble.

No comments: