Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Frixion Pens

I find marking a quilt, in preparation for quilting, is a very tedious job. If I am going to do an all-over design, I like to mark the quilt before I sandwich it. If the design is linked to the design of the piecing I can do the marking as I quilt, if I am doing it on a large frame.  The fan quilt will be done on a hoop so it is easier to do it ahead of time. This time I used the Frixion pens.  They are my favorites. On the leaf quilt I used a chalk pen when the design went over dark fabrics. The Frixion pens are nice because they don't fade as you work which is really important when quilting on a hoop. The markings disappear with heat. A quick pass with the iron or I found that they disappeared when I washed the quilt. Probably because I put it in the dryer. I understand that they can reappear in severe cold temperatures but I haven't had that happen. I have used the disappearing pens but often they disappear faster than I can quilt. The water soluble markers work great , especially on fabrics where nothing else will stand out, however the tips don't last long and it takes several to mark a whole quilt. I have used the graphite pencil but they were messy. I had an instructor suggest slivers of soap but they rubbed off very easily.

No comments: