Friday, August 31, 2018

Orchids

Last night we watched a Nova program titled "Plants which behave badly".  It was all about orchids and about how they deceive pollinators to their advantage. They also mentioned that in the last years there has been real success in growing moth orchids. So much so that they have become the most popular house plant around the world. I have had moth orchids for years and I did the ice cube watering method and they never bloomed. After watching my Mom douse them, and hers bloomed continually, I decided to change my ways.  I now water tham about a quarter cup every Friday and here they are. I even have two more stems of buds.






2 comments:

Pam J. said...

So that's the orchid I've been nursing along for 3 years with no bloom! I never knew its name. I've also been following the ice cube rule -- and feeling a little silly about it -- but no longer. Dousing begins today. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I moved mine out to the patio and have been watering with the hose! Dousing them! The one from Steve for Valentines Day has two big stems full of blooms! Yahoo!