Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Chili Sauce

Last Saturday Hubby and I made lots of chili sauce. It's the only thing I still can. The recipe came from my grandmother and it is wonderful. Hubby runs the food processor while I peel the tomatoes and cut up the celery, onions, and peppers. Before the food processor we used to grind things. What a mess! After grinding everything you add the sugar, salt and vinegar (and the spice bag) and cook it down until you want to go to bed and then you decide it's thick enough. The recipe says 1 1/2 to 3 hours. I have never known it to take less than 6 hours. We use the chili sauce on hamburgers or mixed with hamburger to make Sloppy Joes. We also cook short ribs or brisket with it. One year I gave each kid one jar for Christmas. That wasn't their only gift.

No comments: