Monday, July 23, 2018

The Cactus

About 22 years ago when I was first dating Hubby, I knew how much he loved the West and cacti, so I gave him a cactus for his birthday.  It was an African cactus from Frank's Nursery, about 3 feet tall. Every summer we take it outdoors and bring it in for the winter. It is very susceptible to frost. It takes both of us and a wheeled wooden platform to move it.  We never give it water during the winter.  An easy houseplant, except, it grows. When it becomes too big to fit through the door we cut it back and start a new cactus.  That has happened three or four times.  I found a picture of it several years ago as it summered on out deck.


 A few days ago, Hubby got out his Saws-all and took it down  This is about a third of the cactus.  He lets the pieces harden and then plants them in a sand and soil mixture. We have several friends who want one.

2 comments:

Pam J. said...

They look so healthy! What a nice story.

Mary said...

I’d like one!