Sunday, January 4, 2009

Mathphobia

All of my six children are good at math. Although only two of them have math degrees, none of them were afraid of math courses. Gretel talks about kids who have no math concepts at all when they come into her class. Mary talks about fellow teachers who freeze up at the mention of math. When I was teaching piano I had an adult student whose former teacher had given up on him because he couldn't count. The problem was he was terrified of even the number words. I taught him rhythm patterns for counting(quarter, quarter, half-note). He made astounding progress. When the kids had paper routes I taught them to figure the percentage of the route complete with each paper they delivered. They all learned to cook and measure ingredients. I guess I used math with them as much as I use math for just about anything I do.

No comments: