Saturday, May 3, 2008

Tornado Sirens

At one o'clock today, the first Saturday of the month, the tornado sirens sounded. I imagine that especially in the south this week it was a dreaded sound, but one that saved a considerable number of lives. I remember as a kid when they were called air-raid sirens. I remember being in downtown Detroit ( when it was inhabited) and the sirens went off. The noise would echo around the buildings and was truly deafening. When we were in Maryland we took the grandchildren to the Spy Museum. They had a whole display on the cold war with an example of a bomb shelter and a picture of children in school learning to duck and cover. It was difficult to explain to the grandchildren exactly what they were doing. I am not sure my children understand. We used to practice in school and in the evening when we played outdoors but because it was late had to stay close to home, we used to play "Flash"on the lawn. One kid would yell "flash" and we would all duck and cover.

1 comment:

Kitt said...

Our sirens get tested on the first Wednesday of the month at 11. There have been a few times when some bystander has gotten a worried look and asked, "What in the world is going on?" Clearly they're not from a tornado state!


My grade school had a radiation symbol and a "Fallout Shelter" sign. I wonder if those signs are even around anymore.