Thursday, May 1, 2008

So Eager for Spring

Yesterday morning Hubby put the plants back outside after our two days of freeze warning. We had gone to a Coleus class on Tuesday. They offered us ten plants at a 20% discount but told us we had to keep them inside until Memorial Day. I decided to wait to buy them and pay full price. I did decide to deal with my African Violets. My African Violets are many years old and do very well but for the last two years they have bugs on them. It doesn't seem to bother the plants but the dead white corpses litter the leaves and flowers. I have tried systemic insecticides, I have washed all the plants with insecticidal soap ( even though they tell you violets don't like wet leaves) so today I took them all outside and sprayed them with an insecticide and washed the stones the pots sit on and baked them in the oven for a half hour. The stones not the plants. It must tell you something about my Master Gardener status that I can't grow disease free African Violets

1 comment:

Mary said...

I wonder how baked African Violets would taste...