Wednesday, March 19, 2008

John's Wedding Quilt







Well the quilt is finished! Last night around 10:30PM I finished the binding. I am quite pleased with the quilt. I used some of the border fabric for the binding and that worked nicely. This was my 31st quilt. I made my very first quilt when I was 12 years old. I had a new baby brother and I embroidered little animals on the squares and yarn tied the quilt. Unfortunately I used a cotton batting and it lumped very badly. Since then I learned that when using cotton batting the quilting should be no farther apart the 1.5 inches. A yarn tied quilt would of necessity be filled with dacron. The second quilt I made was in 1969. We were living in State College, Pennsylvania while my husband was going to graduate school. I signed up for a quilting class at the local high school adult education program. I have always loved quilts. My grandmother had several on the beds at her home in Ohio. I remember especially a double wedding ring quilt that she had made. I imagine my Aunt Ann has those quilts now, I would love to see them again. Anyway from the class I made a queen size Mariners Compass quilt. I used it so long that the top and bottom edges became quite frayed. I rebound the quilt twice and eventually cut off the top and bottom border. I still use the quilt as an extra blanket on the double bed in the guest room.
John's quilt is adapted from a pattern designed by Jinny Beyer called Sommerset. The Mariner's compass was from a pattern on a Mountain Mist batting package.

No comments: