Monday, January 7, 2008

Late Bloomers

My daughter , Martha, is a late bloomer. Well really she is still a bud. She has budded before and not bloomed but we are hoping. I was a late bloomer. I didn't receive my engineering degree until I was 52 years old. So Martha has time. She has an aunt who was almost 40 before she got her degree and now does very well. You would think that I understand late bloomers but I don't and I certainly don't understand Martha. Somehow I think there has to be a "happening" that makes you know it's now or never. Something has to shake your complacency to make you want to exert every last bit of energy to reach your goal. For me, I was 47 years old, divorced, with 6 kids. It's sort of like my African Violets which bloom profusely when I forget to water them. I can here them say, "Put out seeds, put out seeds."

Today I was helping Martha with her calculus because her previous course was ten years ago. It's going to be hard for her. We can only hope and encourage, she has to find the drive to reach the goal.

No comments: