Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Library

Martha asked me to go to the library and pick up a book for her, "The Idiot's guide to Calculus." I have a library card and one of my New Year's Resolutions is to get out of the house, so I went. I have always felt uncomfortable in libraries. As a kid we had a bookmobile in our home town and I never went to the actual library. Even in college my school had closed stacks so I never saw where the books were kept. My children are very familiar with the library. I used to take them every week during the summer and while they were at story hour I would browse in the quilting books. I even checked out sheet music for the piano.
Now we have a new library, I don't know where the books are. It is huge with lots of computers, video tabes and recordings. It has stunning art works but it isn't friendly for those uncomfortable in a library. Martha left a note as to where to find her book. It was on the third floor in section 515. The whole third floor was reference books. I found her book but I don't know where the quilting books are, or if they even have sheet music anymore. When I go to Borders or Barnes and Nobles someone is always there to help you find anything you want. They even walk over to the correct shelf with you. Here at the new public library I felt very alone. I went down to the main floor to check out the book. The clerk sat at a computer just like at Borders. She said "your library card is out of date it must be renewed every year." Now as a senior citizen years go by like weeks. I didn't even know it had been that long. In order to renew my library card I had to have two pieces of identification with my address on them. I can get to Canada with two pieces of ID! Needless to say I didn't have it and left the library. I went to Meijer's to buy a lampshade and a candy bar. When I got home the lampshade didn't fit the lamp but I did eat the candy bar.

No comments: